City of Heroes: Rebirth > AE/Mission Architect

Want Dev's choice for your AE?

<< < (3/3)

ElBee:
Back in May of this year, I had searched for more arcs to spotlight. Of the three I found I have awarded arc 797 - The Search for Dillo Developer's Choice.

Here are my reviews
774 - The May Lives of Lord Recluse
(click to show/hide)Premise - 7/10
Is the premise interesting or well thought out? Is it super basic?
City of Heroes is no stranger to interdimensional shinanigans. This is one such story exploring many versions of Lord Recluse.

Contact Writing - 14/20
Does the contact have details? How well does the contact explain what's going on?
Contact acts similarly to how a portal corp tech would. They deliver a lot of exposition. I felt, however, that the information could have been presented better by reformatting paragraphs and adding more line breaks.

Enemy Design - 16/20
Does it use existing assets in an interesting way or does it have its own? Do those have descriptions? How are those written to explain who they are?
A mix of Custom and Normal content exploring various kinds of crazy dimensions. One of the missions mob choice was not able to scale to level 50.

Mission Details - 20/20
Are the missions explained well? Are the missions fun to play?
These are quick missions with optional EB/GM. They can be as arduous as you want them to be.

Show vs Tell - 15/20
How does the arc convey it's story? Is it all in clues? Do the NPCs exposit in NPC dialogue? Is there any exposition at all?
There is a lot of exposition delivered from the contact. Some of the clues directly tell you something is supposed to convey something without describing it.

Overall Quality - 8/10
How do I personally feel about the arc?
Arc was pretty solid, if a bit long winded.
Final Score 80/100
Barely scraping a 5 star rating. Its interesting premise and plot is held back by simple presentation.

790 - Style over Substance
(click to show/hide)Premise - 9/10
Hiring help to help manage your social media presense and the highjinks that ensue? That's a good premise for an episode of a sitcom.

Contact Writing - 18/20
Does the contact have details? How well does the contact explain what's going on?
The contact has details that describe the career of a moderately successful PR person for a company "Liberty Search and Rescue" rather well. I had quite a few laughs at how hard it goes into the social media theme.

Enemy Design - 16/20
Does it use existing assets in an interesting way or does it have its own? Do those have descriptions? How are those written to explain who they are?
The descriptions of the custom enemies were pretty short, but still did the job. The costumes used by them were fantastic! Some were missing descriptions though. The final mission features Villains of other players too!

Mission Details - 16/20
Missions were realitively short with a decent enough mixture of objectives. The reasons you are doing the objectives is the main fun of it.

Show vs Tell - 17/20
How does the arc convey it's story? Is it all in clues? Do the NPCs exposit in NPC dialogue? Is there any exposition at all?
The premise doesn't really lend itself to a heavy storyline. It missed one opportunity for a joke in the first mission, but otherwise its presentation was great for a comedy arc.

Overall Quality - 8/10
Pretty well written. A good take on social media and all the antics therein. To quote the game, It #slayed.
Final Score 84/100
I had quite a few laughs at this arc. It has minor issues, but those do not get in the way of the enjoyment by anyone not going over it with a fine tooth comb. I did take mild umbrage with one of the joke mobs in the zombie mission however. I recognize it's a looney tooney kind of joke however.

797 - The Search for Dillo Awarded Developer's Choice
(click to show/hide)Premise - 8/10
Following up on an existing series of arcs is a good jumping point for a story.

Contact Writing - 18/20
Twinshots speech was captured really well. As was the speech of other characters during the arc. Especially Dillo's

Enemy Design - 17/20
This used entirely existing assets but in clever ways that called back to the other arcs as well.

Mission Details - 15/20
The missions were great to play. Had quite a few twists during it.

Show vs Tell - 18/20
The NPCs are super well written in this one. They react to clues you find and exposit in dialogue.

Overall Quality - 10/10
The arc was extremely well produced. The characters are written well and the missions are designed well.
Final Score 86/100
This arc is a perfect example of one that is short and to the point. Though the premise of it being a mystery does cause the quick pace of the arc to be a slight detriment, The arc is still fantastically written and designed.

I hope to be able to make time to continue my delve into the architect and find more gems to award Developer's Choice. Until such time, thank you for your patience.

RandomRabbit:
Oh!  I wish I had seen this topic sooner. 

894 The bone fiend.  Though this might have already been mentioned to El Bee.  I was aiming for a lowbie friendly arc.  I managed to bonk the EB at the end with a level 16 guardian. 

Map 3 still vaguely annoys me.  (I originally wanted it to be a "walk up to a NPC talk to them and then shit happens" mission but AE doesn't seem to have that as an option that I can see.")

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version