Author Topic: Rebirth Costume Tool Beta 0.2  (Read 3685 times)

Jagged

• Inf: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Rebirth Costume Tool Beta 0.2
« on: October 18, 2021, 05:07:24 pm »
Hello Costume Fanatics

With the help of Silver Age Fan I have been working on a little tool to help retrieve old costume files. It is mainly aimed at files of female costumes that were broken by the introduction of asymmetrical chests. However it will make an attempt to correct all costumes, even old v1 files.

You can download the tool from here: https://hero-id.co.uk/rebirth/costume-tool.zip
  • Download Zip
  • Extract to directory
  • Copy all your costume files into a separate folder, leaving your "Cityofheroes/costumes" folder empty
  • run the costume-tool.exe
  • Set the source folder to the folder with all your costume files in it.
  • Set the target folder to the "Cityofheroes/costumes" folder (where ever that is for you).
  • Press "Execute" a wait a moment.
My experience with the tool is that it will work successfully on most of the files, but by no means all. It is designed to work with the release thats currently on TEST (as at 18-Oct-2021) so if the file doesn't work on Live it may work on Test.

One more caveat, I am not able to sign this programme. So you will almost certainly be asked to trust it and the only thing you have to go on is that I have been around since the second week of public Rebirth. I totally understand if that isn't good enough for the security conscious amongst you :)

Developer Info
The tool works by creating a mapping of old costume elements to new and simply transposing the entries in a costume file. It does make a somewhat clumsy attempt at converting version 1 files into version 2, which seems to work more often that it should  :)
The tool is written in Java  :o and the code can be found here: https://github.com/Jaggeroth/costume-tool
However I have excluded the Rebirth configuration files needed to make it work as they are not mine to publicize.

cheers

Jagged

luplay2

• Inf: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rebirth Costume Tool Beta 0.2
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 02:06:47 am »
Thanks for your sharing!

SilverAgeFan

• Developer
  • Inf: +5/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rebirth Costume Tool Beta 0.2
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 12:46:28 am »
Keeping this at the top!

And a reminder for cross server players that Jagged's tool has been demonstrated to work fairly well with costume files from other servers! So if you jump between Rebirth and Thunderspy, HC, or New Dawn, there is a decent chance it will help convert your saved costumes into a format that load without issue for Rebirth!