Author Topic: Apple Silicon + Whisky + 64 bit CoH = Mac Client?  (Read 1527 times)

Redlynne

• Inf: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Apple Silicon + Whisky + 64 bit CoH = Mac Client?
« on: December 26, 2023, 06:32:07 pm »
Now that the Whisky "bottler" app exists for Macs, enabling Macs to run Windoze software ... the opportunity arises to bring Mac users (such as myself) who reside on Apple Silicon (such as myself) to (re)join the Rebirth community.

The question is ... what win10 based Launcher software is available in a 64 bit format (for a 64 bit CoH game client?) that could be "bottled" using Whisky to provide access not only to the game, but also the Mids' Reborn character builder program that could be run on Apple Silicon?

Answer this question and CoH Rebirth could be added to the Mac Games list on reddit, creating an opportunity for new Players (and some former ones, like myself) to rejoin the community.

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Redlynne

• Inf: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Apple Silicon + Whisky + 64 bit CoH = Mac Client?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 10:30:38 pm »
Well, that's disappointing.
Was able to use the Sweet Tea launcher via Whisky to run the launcher.exe.
Downloaded the Rebirth client.
Actually got the client to launch (!).
Actually got to LOG IN (!).

And ... the game is unplayable.

Since I have an Apple Studio Display with a 5120x2880 resolution, I'm kind of "stuck" for choices of screen resolution (thanks to using Whisky and GPTK to run a windows game client through emulation) which makes a LOT of things utterly bizarre. The Sweet Tea launcher shows up as a TINY WINDOW that I need to break out a magnifying glass in order to read. In the game, various graphical elements don't scale AT ALL ... such as mouseover text. My cursor looks smaller than a grain of rice (so I can barely see it on screen). And worst of all ... the audio is constantly skipping.

Messing around with the in-game settings ... didn't really help.

At least I know it's been 270 days (as of this posting) since my last login to my characters.

The real kicker though was that ... clicking on a door (to go in and out of the Arena building) crashed the game client to desktop ... convincing me that there still isn't a good option for me to be able to return to Rebirth.

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.