Author Topic: Power Proliferation: Red Defenders/Controllers  (Read 2240 times)

BradleyIFV

• Inf: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Power Proliferation: Red Defenders/Controllers
« on: September 24, 2021, 10:04:18 am »
I'm working through an assessment of gaps in Support Sets, and got through all of the primaries for Defenders, loading all of the details of the powers so that I could get a thorough and accurate assessment. I was running some sorts and such and referring back to archived Paragon Wiki, when I just happened to look at the archetype entry for Masterminds and noticed that two of the secondary sets there hadn't been viewed yet: Pain Domination and Poison. As I'm running the assessment on all Support Sets, I'll be adding those in to the list, but seeing as they're currently only for Corruptors and Masterminds, they'll be going in as secondary sets only.

This brings up the question: with both Praetoria and the chooseable Galaxy City tutorial allowing for Corruptors and Masterminds to start as "good" characters, even with PD and Poison (never mind Demon Summoning and Necromancy), should Defenders and Controllers also have access to these previously red-side-only powersets? In a similar vein, should Cold Dom (MM), Empathy (both), FF (Cor), Kinetics (MM), and Rad Em (MM) be proliferated as well? The choices of appropriateness should maybe be left to players' role playing, not limitations of archetype.

Draggynn

• Inf: +20/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Power Proliferation: Red Defenders/Controllers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 05:41:26 pm »
I think there has been less of a need perceived for proliferating Empathy/Pain Domination since Pain Domination was designed to be villain empathy.   I haven't looked into it at all, but since they were designed this way, I wonder if Pain Domination is balanced high, and that if proliferated to Defenders could end up having outlier numbers when paired with Defenders' higher support multipliers.  Since Pain Domination and Empathy fill similar niche's you also don't want to make one of them obsolete by proliferating it.
@Draggynn: Storm Summoning Psychic Defender and Badge Hunter, formerly a resident of Virtue
See my collection of commissioned art: https://www.deviantart.com/drag-gynn

BradleyIFV

• Inf: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 09:16:21 am »
Fair point on Empath/Pain Dom - is there a similar concern regarding Poison going blue, or the four others going red?

Draggynn

• Inf: +20/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 01:11:52 pm »
I don't know what the justification is on poison, haven't really looked at the set.  I can't think of any immediate reason why cold, ff, or rad couldn't be proliferated.  I know there are concerns that kin can be such a massive multiplier that it would be too powerful on MMs, although I know some servers have proliferated that anyway.
@Draggynn: Storm Summoning Psychic Defender and Badge Hunter, formerly a resident of Virtue
See my collection of commissioned art: https://www.deviantart.com/drag-gynn