Author Topic: Illusion control for dominators?  (Read 2888 times)

Vooded

• Inf: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Illusion control for dominators?
« on: September 26, 2021, 05:04:01 pm »
Any plans to port illusion control to dominators here on Rebirth? I did a quick search on these boards but nothing came up.

Donkyhotay

• Inf: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Illusion control for dominators?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 12:34:56 pm »
Not that I have heard and honestly I would consider it unlikely.
Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.

BradleyIFV

• Inf: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 11:07:23 am »
I'm not necessarily familiar with the arguments made (back in the day or more recently) regarding whether Illusion Control was a viable proliferation candidate. I'm assuming it has something to do with how the set integrates with Domination, but I don't know for certain.

Could a Nightmare Control set (or something similar) be created, a la Pain Domination vs. Empathy or Darkness Affinity vs. Dark Miasma?

BradleyIFV

• Inf: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 11:56:49 am »
I'm trying to think my way through a Nightmare powerset, and I'm running into a few issues:
  • It's going to necessarily step on the toes of Darkness Control, Illusion Control, and Mind Control. It can't be a villainous version of Illusion, because I guess too many powers wouldn't build/take advantage of Domination - I'm thinking Spectral Wounds, Superior Invisibility, and Group Invisibility, plus maybe too many pet powers. And thematically it's smack in the middle of Darkness and Mind.
  • My main idea for Nightmare Control's shtick would be to utilize the Sleep mezz to supercharge all of its other powers - anytime a target is currently Sleeping (probably from any source), they take more damage and/or stronger mezzes from the character's Nightmare Control powers. This might work fine (if not fantastic) in a solo setting, but group play has tons of damage waking up Sleeping mobs all the time. I might be able to balance that with a Sleep PB/AoE effect (probably toggle), but I'm just concerned I'm heading down a dead-end.
  • Another option would be if a proc-Sleep effect can be put on a target, to have them have to resist Sleep several times over the duration of the effect. That might let them be affected by the power, be damaged by something else, and then get hit with Sleep in time to have the Nightmare Control powers take advantage. The target would be able to still get off a response attack or action immediately after getting damaged, basically a kind of Immobilization effect while still being vulnerable to the Sleep shtick.
  • With a Sleep-based shtick already, I'm not sure how much to actually crib off of Illusion Control. Probably the only thing that makes sense would be the Illusory damage heal-back (with higher initial damage), but I might tie that to the Sleep vulnerability.
So if you have 9 powers, I'm thinking a single target damaging Sleep (Mind's Mesmerize), a ST damage Hold (maybe Illusion's Blind with the AoE c/f Sleep), a ST Confuse, a ranged cone/AoE Hold (proc-Sleep on fail), a toggle PBAoE Sleep, a targeted Disorient with pseudo-pet AoE Fear/damage (a dream creature centered on/above a wandering target), and then I run out of (good) ideas.

Donkyhotay

• Inf: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 12:32:53 pm »
I kind of like where you're going with a nightmare control set that has bonuses for sleep. I don't see any overlap with illusion but again illusion is so strange I have trouble seeing it work in a way that would be practical with doms.
Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.