Author Topic: Gender Diversification  (Read 2340 times)

BradleyIFV

• Inf: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Gender Diversification
« on: October 19, 2021, 01:46:03 pm »
Are there any opportunities for additional gender diversification (i.e., adding female members) in enemy groups, at different tiers? For example, the old days saw the introduction of female minions, lieutenants, and bosses for the Skulls, while the Hellions only added Girlfriends From Hell - could Blood Sister Slicers and female Fallen Gunners be added?

Between the previous enemy groups that included (if not entirely consisted of) female members and then the groups that were diversified later on, I think the concerns that defeating (through shooting, slicing, burning, etc.) female NPCs would be too much to allow, balanced against (I'm totally assuming) the more limited liability this private server has versus a commercial endeavor, should be fairly small at this point. If there are any enemy groups that make no sense to include female members (just as there would be those where male participation wouldn't make sense), then by all means leave those as is.

On a related note: I'm sure that there are costume assets held by enemy groups (or even civilians) that have not previously been made available to player-characters because they haven't been tested for clipping, etc., against the full range of player-character costume options. However, there are a number of costume options that already have those issues depending on what they're paired up with, and it might be good to further flesh out the costume options, using mostly existing assets.

Draggynn

• Inf: +20/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Gender Diversification
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 03:14:29 pm »
Not a dev, but there has definitely been noise that makes it sound like there's been work behind the scenes for trying to get some NPC costume parts into player hands.  At the moment the costume dev putting in the most significant work is SilverAgeFan, and their dance card is pretty full for the time being.  But the costume team has expanded, so hopefully there's some one there that can handle it.

I think the gender diversification of enemy groups gets a little bit trickier.  I suspect that the devs wouldn't just want to populate the enemy groups with costumes that could be player created it order to keep them a little more special (And you can have more fun with parts that might clip in that case).  My impression is that adding enemies to a group though should be something within our ability at this point, and so is definitely a possibility.
@Draggynn: Storm Summoning Psychic Defender and Badge Hunter, formerly a resident of Virtue
See my collection of commissioned art: https://www.deviantart.com/drag-gynn

Joshex

• Inf: +3/-1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 03:26:46 pm »
first; they are just polygons and textures, any resemblance to a real person is purely artificial. No character instance in CoX has any human rights, nor any rights period. You Own Your Characters (so long as they are not ripping off someone else's registered ownership of such a character. I.E. the NPC's are wholely owned by NCSoft/Cryptic Studios(in some cases)). No, they are not paid for their work.. I did tell you they have no human rights because they aren't real right? ok cool so when it comes to bashing or [Axe Melee. Beheader]+ing a "female" enemy of any type it's no different than a "male" or "huge" one. No it's not "too much to allow", Catgirl farms anyone?

second, I think the reasons there are not female members of certain enemy groups is entirely reliant on liklihood in the background of those groups.

In example:

Female Hellions are quickly offered as sacrifices in arcane rituals and turned into Girlfriend's From Hell. - so while we could maybe see some Female Hellions Initiates, they would likely have no attacks and just be being led to some altar somewhere. beating them up probably wouldn't be heroic, they need psychiatric therapy, and maybe a visit from M.A.G.I if anything. so it'd be more of a "there is a female member in the group, like the skull's girlfriend's who is just an NPC, but gets police TPed away when the mob is defeated."

- could make it that if there is no Hero intervention in that mob, or the mob is never defeated in that spawn cycle then the next spawn cycle will include a "Girlfriend from hell"

Female Outcasts- outcasts, let's put it bluntly, they are Super Jocks with, to be polite, kind of "Dick" attitudes and we are not talking "Tracey" here, they are often found making shady deals, harrassing eachother, shaking down random people for money with threats, or generally getting caught breaking into things. Unless they have a sports car and lots of cash, no girl would be caught dead with them, or maybe they secretly were caught dead by them. It's assumed some "Super Girls" may have wanted to join, were harrassed as "Super Candy" got butthurt and quickly found some other villain group to join, (probably the "knives of" brand)..

Female Freakshow - we have flambeaux she decided to join their ilk, but the whole implants and trading body parts of metal thing just wont go down with the ladies... if it weren't for the harassment I'd assume thats how female freakshow would look, kinda more like a goth female outcast with fishnet stockings.. maybe claws and some sort of armor with electric generating rods, but tasteful with electric decals.. probably tied up hair, or no armor so it doesn't get in the way of their hair. Keep in mind the freakshow are literally itching to fight and often fight amongst eachother for the fun of it. the first time a female freak got her arm lopped off, she'd probably, get shocked, quit, go to emergency and try to get it reattached and beg for a treatment to remove scars (probably ending up as a crey), and consider a career change. Men however.. I guess it's the testosterone. "you chopped off my arm, I'll implant a slasher in the stubb and chop off both of yours." style.

I could be wrong, but if I had to guess their reasons I would suspect these are fairly close.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 04:36:43 pm by Joshex »

ElBee

• Administrator
  • Inf: +6/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 08:50:25 pm »
Project is one that may be undertaken at some point. It is a low priority however. It adds some minor variety, but doesn't benefit gameplay that much for the amount of work needed. Especially depending on how deep we may want to go with it. I won't entirely say "No." instead I'll say "Not at this time."
Issue 6 has been released! You can find the patch notes here:
https://forum.cityofheroesrebirth.com/index.php/topic,3735.0.html