Author Topic: Environmental focus  (Read 3612 times)

jordan_yen

• Inf: +7/-0
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Town
    • Awards
Environmental focus
« on: October 17, 2021, 07:27:08 pm »
We have KILLED it on character and system updates surrounding powersets, new archetypes, bug fixes, quality of life etc. Y'all are the BOMB!

That said, I would love to see updates to the environment like changes to buildings, neighborhoods, random events, making the world feel new, different, better. Maybe adding seasons, weather, rare enemies (like supatrolls maybe?). Right now, the game is awesome, but a bit stagnant in that the mission maps and neighborhoods haven't changed much since launch (excepting Faultine, Galaxy, and Atlas of course). Bottom line, let's make it feel different and new if we can. Give us a good reason to explore and see things because things change and are new :)

Also erase Drea. Mickey is all we need.

Joshex

• Inf: +3/-1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Environmental focus
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 04:12:54 pm »
I want to make a new zone Croatoa 2 - (the other side), that and I'd like to design some super monster animals, like Giant pidgeons, squirrels, seagulls, rats (the things you'd expect to find in a city), all the way to bears, aligators, snakes and crocodiles. and maybe some mythical beasts too (hence Croatoa 2).

i always say these things, but when it comes to me making models people are usually silent in response probably because of file format conversion issues, I mean there really aren't many programs which can convert to .geo or .pigg.

BradleyIFV

• Inf: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 01:28:20 pm »
i always say these things, but when it comes to me making models people are usually silent in response probably because of file format conversion issues, I mean there really aren't many programs which can convert to .geo or .pigg.
This, I imagine, is the first and likely primary limiting factor for making updates. If this isn't a real issue, then by all means update away!

I'd like to see some of the zones that are very "same-y" get updated, like King's Row - that needs some added construction material/architectural choices. Swap out some buildings for new styles.  Have some buildings (small ones) that get destroyed and have enemy groups pick over the rubble.

Danaid

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 01:59:21 pm »
I, too, would like to see some updates to give the various zones more distinct personalities. I would love to see large gangs of Skulls roaming through Kings Row, for example.; groups of Lost huddled under overpasses.

Since Street sweeping is not nearly as big a part of the game as it once was, we could even rethink spawn placement in places like Steel Canyon. It doesn't make sense for the center of commerce to have random gang members menacing citizens every 30 feet. I'd rather they were moved to the alleys with the occasional mugging taking place. Same with Founders Falls, random warwolves standing on bridges doesn't fit with what appears to be a high-class neighborhood.

I feel like Brickstown more-or-less gets it right, but I would love to see an Arachnos flyer leave The Zig occasionally.

BradleyIFV

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 12:01:24 pm »
I could definitely get behind some shifting of spawn points, but also include some police vs. enemies interactions, along with some more events that generate larger activities (either isolated or travelling across zones, Supa Troll style).

FarmTank

• Developer
  • Inf: +14/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 12:24:35 pm »
We do have an ongoing effort in place to deal with map changes.  The issue is that the tooling is still being figured out for that.  There are some unfinished maps out there be we aren't prepared to put them in game until we can be sure of how to finish and/or fix them.

Joshex

• Inf: +3/-1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 01:07:56 pm »
We do have an ongoing effort in place to deal with map changes.  The issue is that the tooling is still being figured out for that.  There are some unfinished maps out there be we aren't prepared to put them in game until we can be sure of how to finish and/or fix them.

Great to hear!, also I have been thinking about this thread for a while, namely how to do weather in a polygon-cost-effective way.

I have just had a spontaneous idea when dwelling on this thread.

Create weather collision boxes on top of any different angled or height surface that could be exposed to weather (Rain, Snow , Hail, lightning etc.) have them slant in the opposite direction as the movement of clouds (yes we'll need some simple cloud objects), when a cloud touches these boxes, Spawn a crisscrossed mesh (based on the distance to the camera and graphics settings) extended to the cloud in question onto which a simple rain/snow etc. texture is played, on the surface beneath have a simple splash anim panel on each surface with the same pattern and timed to the same timing as the rain/snow etc. anim., When ceasing to touch a cloud, the anim should pause playing the anim (staying on the last given frame) and lower the top of the model into the surface/base while raising the bottom edges of the UV face layout  towards the top of the UV face layout at the framerate of the snow anim, model's top hits the ground/base. (Otherwise you could have these rain or snowfall meshes spawn and fall in segments and just stop spawning them when it's not touching a cloud).

Pooling/Icing etc. some of said weather collision boxes could have "pooling" collision planes on the surface in low areas which when  the cloud touches the weather col box start to raise a panel of water from under the floor (which has splash anims), for snow or ice build up there could be anything from a simple flat ice texture raising through the floor to a 3D mound of snow.

Drainage/Icicles, on edges of buildings where these are likely to form, weather patterns will spawn them, the iciles could be 3D upclose and destructible. where as water drips and drainage could be just an arched column playing a waterfall anim.

At a distance the crisscrossed structure could be a simple cap-less box whose 4 sides are disconnected and crossing partway into each face. close up the crisscross might have 10x10 faces (100 polygons (200 if counting trigons only)) to make the rain look more dense. pooling will happen regardless of closeness and would be a server defined record.

For lightning burns, using the floor-print texture from [Electric Melee. Lightning Rod] but coloring it black and pasting it as a non-repeating texture layer over the given surface at; object placement[X, Y] modified by texture offset and the orientation vector[+/-x, +/-y] could ensure correct placement.

For lightning casting, playing the [Electric Melee. Lightning Rod] animation at any random place during the storm (and possibly dealing energy damage to any targets) while connecting a jagged arc to the impact location should do the trick.

previously I had been contemplating these things for my own games and did not really like the poly counts I was seeing. but this system is rather light in that regard. I'll most likely use it myself.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 02:03:20 pm by Joshex »