Author Topic: Fix recall back to what it was  (Read 2196 times)

jordan_yen

• Inf: +7/-0
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Town
    • Awards
Fix recall back to what it was
« on: September 12, 2023, 03:33:37 pm »
I'm not sure of the reasoning or necessity from a code perspective, but from a player standpoint, it's exhausting and endlessly frustrating when I try to TP and alt or teammate only for it to fail repeatedly instead of placing them at the nearest sensible spot to where I'm standing like Recall Friend used to do.

Jusri

• Developer
  • Inf: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fix recall back to what it was
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 01:16:00 pm »
The decision was made in Ri5 to make recall a single click power, instead of a targeting reticle.  As a result of this change, teleport powers can sometimes fail.  There is a lot of logic to try to find a safe location, but sometimes it just can't.  The difference between processing on the client vs server side and human input means that we can't make the power single click and keep recall friend's former behavior.

However, repeated failures are surprising.  Are you moving after a failed recall or are you just repeatedly using recall in the same location (which should result in repeated failures).  If you can provide the map you're on and the location (/loc) where your teleports are failing we can look into why you might be having particular issues on that map.

To decrease the chance of a failed teleport choose a flat location free of other objects.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 01:30:12 pm by Jusri »

Joshex

• Inf: +3/-1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Fix recall back to what it was
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 11:00:20 am »
The decision was made in Ri5 to make recall a single click power, instead of a targeting reticle.  As a result of this change, teleport powers can sometimes fail.  There is a lot of logic to try to find a safe location, but sometimes it just can't.  The difference between processing on the client vs server side and human input means that we can't make the power single click and keep recall friend's former behavior.

However, repeated failures are surprising.  Are you moving after a failed recall or are you just repeatedly using recall in the same location (which should result in repeated failures).  If you can provide the map you're on and the location (/loc) where your teleports are failing we can look into why you might be having particular issues on that map.

To decrease the chance of a failed teleport choose a flat location free of other objects.

Might I suggest, from a game developer's standpoint, that if you do not allow the player to set the location the target is teleported to, you should increase the range from the caster that the target could be teleported to with a closer is better policy. Or a safe place could be calculated from the caster's location using a Z axis rotating ray to detect obstructions and retun the vector or location at the ray's closest distance with no obstruction.