Author Topic: All Cox servers and teams need to be combined  (Read 2110 times)

Keeno333

• Inf: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
All Cox servers and teams need to be combined
« on: November 10, 2022, 09:21:38 am »
There needs to be more unity in the Cox community

when can you guys come together with the other servers and make one server and team?

consolidating all the servers and people working on their own version of COX would be better than having more than one

working together for the player base would be more important than serving your own selfish wants for the game

Redlynne

• Inf: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: All Cox servers and teams need to be combined
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 10:50:09 am »
I am reminded of a poster that was on the wall in one of my high school classrooms.
It had two goats, one on either side of the picture, with an obvious chasm between them.

The caption read, of one of the goats talking to the other ...

"I am not a male chauvanist. Now you jump the gap so we can be together."

In an ideal world, there would be "unity" in the CoX community in that we would all be playing on the same server (hosted by Paragon Studios) and no one else would have their own.
Strangely enough, we don't seem to be living in said "ideal world" for some reason or another.

Remember, what you're advocating for is something akin to "all other servers just need to surrender and transfer their players to MY SERVER and that will be best for everyone involved!"
And while that may be true when seen from an outsider's perspective, as soon as to you bring the personalities and agendas of the individuals involved into the equation, the wishful thinking needed for this to happen becomes BEYOND OBVIOUS.

In other words, take your message over to Homecoming and tell the dev team over there they ought to shut down and just migrate all of their Players over to Rebirth ... and see how far you'll get with that line of argument.
Spoiler Alert ... they'll ban you for speaking truths they don't want to hear.

Remember, taking the stance of "everyone else surrender to ME so we can all win together!" rarely works out well, even if you have good intentions from the start.
And that's not even counting the fact that even if such an outcome were achieved, there would no doubt soon be factions splintering off to start their own servers ... so ... back to square one, I guess?

Piling the entire CoX community into a single server sounds like a great idea, until reality inevitably intrudes.

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

wyldhaunt

• Inf: +5/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 11:57:56 am »
Personally, I love the proliferation, and consider desiring everyone to bow to one viewpoint selfish.

The goal is fun! Currently playing Alpine, Amberguard, And Go, Lalaine the Joyous, So Flow the Tears, Sesia, Tymhestloedd, aTomiGrrl, Cool Hand Lexi, Gnawt, Sharknado, and Wyldhaunt.

wyldhaunt on our Discord; was a Guardianite from Issue 2 to shutdown

GeneralIdiot

• Inf: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 09:11:04 am »
I don't want them combined, that'd just lead to a lot of people being mad. But I do wish the various teams were more friendly toward each other and willing to share resources. Cause I'd love to see stuff like the integrated tights and glowing costumes from here or the mastermind customisation from Thunderspy over on Homecoming, and I'd love to see the things they've made like the Aeon strikeforce and new power sets and such on Rebirth. But that'll never happen cause even if the incompatible code bases could be worked past, there's just too much animosity between the different teams.

brw316

• Developer
  • Inf: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2022, 09:23:14 am »
I don't want them combined, that'd just lead to a lot of people being mad. But I do wish the various teams were more friendly toward each other and willing to share resources. Cause I'd love to see stuff like the integrated tights and glowing costumes from here or the mastermind customisation from Thunderspy over on Homecoming, and I'd love to see the things they've made like the Aeon strikeforce and new power sets and such on Rebirth. But that'll never happen cause even if the incompatible code bases could be worked past, there's just too much animosity between the different teams.

While this may have been somewhat true in the past (and still is for some teams), the Rebirth team has a history of cross-server collaboration and cross-pollination of knowledge. While we may disagree with the ways that things are implemented, we have established working relationships with members of the Homecoming team, Thunderspy, and Cake. We are also still active on Ourodev, answering questions and teaching others.That doesn't mean that you should expect asset sharing, but know that we are not hostile towards our colleagues.

Redlynne

• Inf: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2022, 09:46:42 am »
we are not hostile towards our colleagues.

Knowledge Shared Is Knowledge Multiplied.  8)

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

brw316

• Developer
  • Inf: +8/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 12:00:07 am »
we are not hostile towards our colleagues.

Knowledge Shared Is Knowledge Multiplied.  8)

Amen.

Donkyhotay

• Inf: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 01:15:56 pm »
I agree that having the various teams share resources with each other is a good thing, however I am very much opposed to actually combining all teams together and only having "one" server. The biggest reason is that while enough time has passed that it's extremely unlikely to happen at this point, technically NCsoft could someday decide to shut down private CoH servers. If that happens, having everything widely distributed then forcing them to play whack-a-mole is our only defense. If we put all our eggs in one basket it's easier for them to shut things down.

The second reason I like having multiple servers is because it allows for different "flavors" to exist. Some people prefer the vanilla experience of Rebirth, some prefer fast insta-levels of Cake, the crazy changes of Thunderspy, or... whatever Homecoming does... Regardless having lots of options allows people to play the way they want, while still being the same game. Related to sharing of resources we should be "many servers, one community" that works together in our own ways instead of trying to be "the one true server".
Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.