Author Topic: Faces. Hair. Costumes are AMAZING, but hair and face are key!  (Read 2346 times)

jordan_yen

• Inf: +7/-0
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Town
    • Awards
Faces. Hair. Costumes are AMAZING, but hair and face are key!
« on: November 24, 2022, 06:30:57 pm »
Key to making one character feel different than another is the face and hair options (especially hair). I can cheat a little by using some of the scarves and helmets and other things that alter what the heads look like, but if I make anyone with a ponytail, they're going to remind me of my other character with that ponytail - there's only so much I can do... So while the costume stuff is top teir, no question, I feel like it's time to prioritize hair and face options

Draggynn

• Inf: +20/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Faces. Hair. Costumes are AMAZING, but hair and face are key!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 06:23:17 pm »
This is obviously SAF territory, so all I can provide insight into what I've read on discord (which I may have misinterpreted or misremembered).  I know that SAF still wants to finish propagating asymmetrical tights to huge bodies, but wants to tackle some more specialty pieces that they've been wanting to do for a long time next issue.  I also know that SAF is interested in doing a substantial revamp of heads that would include the integration of the earrings and domino masks that were teased a long time ago.  I suspect that there would be numerous new head options including hair as part of that, but I suspect SAF would likely want to wrap up some of the other projects before tackling that.

I also know that there are few other art devs that have made substantial contributions to Rebirth, so it may be that one of them will tackle this even before SAF is ready to shift focus.  All of which is to say, I think there's already a fairly long queue of desired costumes that are being worked through but who knows!
@Draggynn: Storm Summoning Psychic Defender and Badge Hunter, formerly a resident of Virtue
See my collection of commissioned art: https://www.deviantart.com/drag-gynn

jordan_yen

• Inf: +7/-0
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Town
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2022, 09:33:26 pm »
No worries. I definitely don't expect anything right away, just hoping that this can be put on the pile (and maybe something worth prioritizing beyond the current set of projects)

Danaid

• Developer
  • Inf: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 09:20:56 pm »
If you have any specific ideas for face or hair options that you'd like to see implemented, feel free to post some pictures of what you have in mind.

Redlynne

• Inf: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 11:15:59 pm »
If you have any specific ideas for face or hair options that you'd like to see implemented, feel free to post some pictures of what you have in mind.

Well ... since you asked ...

Ranko Mannen's asymmetrical hairstyle.

Imgur gallery LINK.

Ranko IN ACTION (warning: gratuitous bloodshed).

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

SilverAgeFan

• Developer
  • Inf: +5/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 11:18:08 pm »
I have seen this thread.

It is being watched.

People expressing thoughts in this thread are not alone. That is all that can be said at this juncture.

SilverAgeFan

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 11:19:34 pm »

This video is no longer available.

Redlynne

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 12:13:45 am »

This video is no longer available.

Replacement video link (warning: gratuitous bloodsheed, still in effect!)

SilverAgeFan

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 01:39:13 am »
Replacement video link (warning: gratuitous bloodsheed, still in effect!)

Got it. High wedge cut with angled bangs, work in hair recoil for attacks if possible. Maybe a touch of cape hair on front side locks.  :)

Redlynne

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 09:39:32 am »
Got it. High wedge cut with angled bangs, work in hair recoil for attacks if possible. Maybe a touch of cape hair on front side locks.  :)
The fact that Cryptic (and later, Paragon) Studios never got around to enabling "hair motion" for longer hair is just one of those curiosities. Pony tail hair that swishes and sways with movement would seem to be such an obvious development angle to build on.

SilverAgeFan

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 02:13:56 pm »
The fact that Cryptic (and later, Paragon) Studios never got around to enabling "hair motion" for longer hair is just one of those curiosities. Pony tail hair that swishes and sways with movement would seem to be such an obvious development angle to build on.

Rebirth already has a number of long-requested costume features dating back to live, such as the single panel tights for female chests, arm wings, and asymmetrical chest and hip patterns. As well as novel innovations discovered along the way and worked into new subsystems, such as integrated tights.

Without saying any more than this, my next development cycle is meant to be another period of research and development of the existing options when taken to creative limits. Last time I did an R&D stint was the work that immediately preceding and fundamental to all the Rebirth specific costume options described above. So time will tell where this next three months of R&D leads.

GueVesa

• Inf: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2023, 11:16:22 am »
While improvements to hair would be nice, what about just cleaned up/higher rez faces?  The originals are so fuzzy.  The newer ones that came out are so much better.  Would it be difficult to update those fuzzy ones to a crisper image?