Author Topic: Need Help Setting Up Island Rum on Mac  (Read 1810 times)

TimesNewLogan

• Inf: +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Need Help Setting Up Island Rum on Mac
« on: December 04, 2022, 10:37:14 pm »
First time here, so I apologize if I'm doing anything wrong!

I fired up Rebirth via Sunset Tea on my PC about a week ago, and am loving every second of it.  I'm trying to get it on my sister's Mac so we can play together like we used to, but the only compatible launcher I could find, Island Rum, doesn't seem to work?  After having to manually override Apple's overzealous Gatekeeper just to download it, launching it just nets a blank black window.  Does anyone know how to fix this, or if there are any other launchers that will do the trick?

Redlynne

• Inf: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Need Help Setting Up Island Rum on Mac
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 08:33:17 am »
For what it's worth, I'm a Mac user myself and I tried Island Rum first for launching Rebirth ... similarly without success, despite changing the manifest to pull from Rebirth instead.

After a week of futzing around trying to get Island Rum to work, I gave up and surrendered to the need to dual boot over to Boot Camp for Windoze in order to run Sweet Tea instead (which works, of course).
To my knowledge, there isn't a verified Mac solution to this problem for Intel chipped Macs (let alone Apple Silicon) ... and part of the problem lies in the 32/64-bit divide (CoH is a 32-bit application, which "modern" OSes no longer support).

As far as I know, the best solution to this problem is either emulation (usually via some form of Wine) or dual boot to Windoze.

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.