Author Topic: Mids Reborn with dot net 6 fails on windows 7  (Read 2348 times)

Joshex

• Inf: +3/-1
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Mids Reborn with dot net 6 fails on windows 7
« on: January 08, 2023, 02:24:21 pm »
Dot net 6 is sneakily unavailable to windows 7 users. I tried installing it, and microsoftie has put in operating system detection in the installer and BLOCKED windows 7. We wont get into the rabid illegal nonsense that they get away with and why they want to. but the software would otherwise (without an os version checker) install.

However in this case that means .net 6 is unavailable to windows 7 users. and that means Mids Reborn  that uses it cannot be run on windows 7. it'd be nice to have a version with an earlier .net, afterall theres not much reason to update the .net version in an application like that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 11:18:49 am by Joshex »

Redlynne

• Inf: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Mids Reborn with dot net 6 fails on windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 09:28:26 am »
Speaking just for myself (of course), I seriously wish that there was a mobile app version of Mids Reborn that I could load up on my iPad (or for others, an Android device) so as to "unchain" Mids Reborn from Windoze entirely.

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Astralock

• Inf: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 02:19:23 am »
Mids' Reborn only officially supports Windows 10 and 11 now.  .NET is also up to version 7 as of a couple of months ago, 6 is now old.  It just is what it is.  Windows 7 is a 13.5 year-old unsupported operating system.  There's just no legitimate reason for the Mids' developers to support it.

From what I understand, .NET 6 solved some problems that Mids' Reborn had.  What, I have no idea.  I'm not a developer.

Also, I recommend joining the Mids' Reborn Discord server if you have any problems or suggestions.  For better or for worse, the two main Mids' Reborn developers (Metalios and Zed), don't pay much attention to forums.  You can join it here.

Joshex

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 05:49:02 pm »
For windows 7 users, you need .net 6.0.4 anything newer no longer supports windows 7.  The newest Rebirth Mids will infact run on this version.

Other than that, if the rumors are true that a near future mids release uses .net 7 windows 7 users will be unable to use it.

Redlynne, making something like the old RedTomax's hero builder (or even later SuckerPunch's Online Planner https://cohplanner.com/ )wouldn't be that hard on a simple webpage with a bit of javascript. the hard part would be more tedious than hard; that would be writing a reader for the database information. for the future if they do continue to rambo update the .net version older OS users may have to resort to such an online builder, this would natively work on smartphones and tablets as well.

As a backup if you prefer something less online, Python could be used to draw up an app window with the TK module, again it'd be tedious work but you might get something workable in a few months with effort.  can't vouch that the graphics will be great for the python one, though I suppose technically good graphics could be input.. and I don't know if python can even be installed on a phone or tablet, though it can be installed on a raspberry pi, so if it can't that means it's an OS developer lockout kinda thing. I know Apple has never been friendly to other content systems like flashplayer etc.

these are the options I know. 

EDIT: https://web.archive.org/web/20110824142004/http://planner.cohtitan.com/planner OH WOW IT STILL LIVES! Nope requires login. if it were online it'd be something like that. A drop down list that fills content in other drop down lists, which then generates a list of javascript links which update a form. where each entry of the form is displayed on javascript buttons, which target a row beneath them and reference the slot totals unassigned and max at 6. and the slots themselves will be javascript buttons which target themselves to load graphics and save stat info to a form, then one script to read it all and display a print out of totals, effects on a per power selected basis, and check boxes for the One Script to determine if a power is calculated in totals or not.

Tedious work. but it could be done.

Oh lastly it can be done in Flash +Actionscript. but as stated that wont work at all on iDevices because apple hates flash and always has.

You know what? I need to stop distrusting other people, and assume they would help. I'm going to talk tot he mids team about making a mids web version.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 07:57:29 am by Joshex »

Redlynne

• Inf: +7/-2
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 03:49:15 pm »
You know what? I need to stop distrusting other people, and assume they would help. I'm going to talk to the mids team about making a mids web version.
It's the only way to be sure you can "future proof" the build planner.
Extra bonus points for building it in such a way as to encode the build data hash into the webpage URL (kind of like the way that WoW build planners do, although they're a LOT simpler!). Change the details of the build and you change the webpage URL to access THAT BUILD combination. Rebirth builds would be orders of magnitude more complex and a "simple" WoW build ... but we're already partially there with the Mids build code hash output!

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Joshex

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 01:07:44 pm »
You know what? I need to stop distrusting other people, and assume they would help. I'm going to talk to the mids team about making a mids web version.
It's the only way to be sure you can "future proof" the build planner.
Extra bonus points for building it in such a way as to encode the build data hash into the webpage URL (kind of like the way that WoW build planners do, although they're a LOT simpler!). Change the details of the build and you change the webpage URL to access THAT BUILD combination. Rebirth builds would be orders of magnitude more complex and a "simple" WoW build ... but we're already partially there with the Mids build code hash output!

heh, nice feature request, I'm sure they'll like it and as and when they get around to this project (they have expressed no direct time but something similar although not the same is on their agenda for the far future) they may consider doing so.

I have started trying my hand at this. they have been helpful in stating important information regarding building a hero planner. so far things went slowly. I was able to pull the basis of code of the old suckerpunch hero planner. it's broken and severely outdated. I spent all of yesterday on reconfiguring the AT selector. suckerpunch had it so your AT determined your alignment. I had to make a separate alignment selector and have that trigger the background color to change. That took a bit of javascript and some CSS modifications to get to work. so at the end of a long day I got a glorified dropdown menu which triggers a page theme.. lol! and for somereason it's still not perfect, randomly if you select "Hero" it does nothing till you select "Villain" but most of the time it works no matter what you select. keep in mind suckerpunch used a massive script for this purpose imported from some other website, mine invloved two if statements in a function if hero and if villain.

Don't put much hope in my version yet. please don't. as theres still a lot of scripts left to write.  and thats before I even get into numbers. the Mids team said Javascript wont work for handling floats like in the game. so that will be a major hurdle to overcome as and when. What am I talking about?, I'm an amatuer web developer at best, I'm not even sure I can reproduce all the elements from suckerpunch's. will take a lot more studying.

So by all means if someone else has the experience PLEASE take over this project lol.

Edit: I will make a new thread to talk about this and share what I've got.

Profit

• Developer
  • Inf: +2/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 03:18:16 pm »
Hi Guys, I was able to succesfully install .Net 7.0.3 (x64) on a Windows 7 Machine.

I am going to run through the setup again and make sure I didn't miss anything and then I will have instructions for you as to which KBs etc are needed to enable this.

edit: Not that I wouldn't love a web version and that most definitely should be a thing. But I'll still make the post for other Win7 users in case they are looking for the info and don't want to upgrade to 10.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 03:19:54 pm by Profit »

Profit

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 04:37:02 pm »
Ok, t confirm this does work. See attached screenshot. I have written down what's needed and I'm going to run through the process one more time to make sure I didn't miss anything and then I'll get it posted.
wiin7_mids.jpg

Profit

• Developer
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 09:19:45 pm »
Ok, so I started with a clean install of Win7 so I could know which KB to install. Then I built up to .Net 7.  Here is the list of everything I had to install to make this work in the order which I installed it. I suspect if you are on Win7 you already have a bunch of these so just fill in the missing gaps.

Service Pack 1 -- kb976932
dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64 (There is no KB# for this, here's the link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718)
dotnet4.5.2 -- kb2901907
vcredist.x64 -- 2008 (google this exact line to find, minus the google part :) )
vcredist.x86 -- 2008 (google this exact line to find, minus the google part :) )
vc_redist.x64 -- 2015-2022 (google this exact line to find, minus the google part :) )
vc_redist.x86 -- 2015-2022 (google this exact line to find, minus the google part :) )
win_installer_update_windows6.1-kb4019990-x64
kernel_mode_framework_windows6.1-kb2685811-x64
Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64
Windows6.1-KB958830-x64-RefreshPkg
Service Pack 2 -- kb3125574
dotnet4.7.1 -- kb4033342
sha2update_windows6.1-kb4474419-v3-x64
sha2SP1update_windows6.1-kb4490628-x64

At this time, you need to install these three certificates. You can get them by creating a Visual Studio 2019 vslayout offline installation and will find them in the certificates folder. You just right click the certificate and click 'Install Certificate'
manifestCounterSignRootCertificate
manifestRootCertificate
vs_installer_opc.RootCertificate

ndp48-x86-x64-allos-enu
WMF5_Win7AndW2K8R2-KB3134760-x64
windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.14-win-x64
windowsdesktop-runtime-7.0.3-win-x64