Author Topic: What should be our vision for the wiki and the obsolete user data?  (Read 2661 times)

Donkyhotay

• Inf: +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Not certain where to put this, but "suggestion" is the closest I can think of so it's here. Basically I think we need a discussion about the wiki and our vision for the future with it. I've been going through the "links without pages" list, finding entries missing from our wiki that are on paragon wiki and then copying them over. While tedious I think it's worth it to have our wiki be complete and accurate with all the various missions that didn't initially migrate over for some reason. However I've started reaching links to players old characters from their user pages, mostly on ouroportal, that are missing.

While I do want the rebirth wiki to be complete and accurate, I don't think we need it to be a complete historical snapshot of what the game was like during sunset. My vision for the wiki is for it to be completely new, focusing on how the Rebirth server is now, and just using the old paragon wiki articles as a starting point. For this reason I really think all these old user pages should simply be purged from the wiki instead of trying update/include the missing data their pages are linking to. I do not have permission to completely delete an article, and even if I did I do not think that is an action one person like myself should take without consulting with the rest of the community and the mods.

So what does everyone else think we should do with these old user pages?

Also, I think having a "wiki" section of the forums would be a good idea too so people can suggest and discuss the wiki in general rather then taking over specific talk pages within it.
Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.

Draggynn

• Inf: +20/-0
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: What should be our vision for the wiki and the obsolete user data?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 12:56:08 pm »
I agree that we don't need to be a time capsule, we already have archive.paragaonwki.com to do that.  I didn't even know that there were pages for individual's characters on the wiki (Do you have a link to a sample page?), but I see no reason to maintain information about characters and players that don't exist on rebirth.

The exception I could see would be for people/characters that made large contributions to our understanding of the game or were incorporated into it.  For example, names/characters that come to mind are Arcanaville for her work on understanding how server clock cycles impact the timing of powers, or Ascendant, an RPer from Virtue, who is actually referenced several places in game.  But it sounds like what you're talking about is more peoole's personal pages which I think should be fine to purge.
@Draggynn: Storm Summoning Psychic Defender and Badge Hunter, formerly a resident of Virtue
See my collection of commissioned art: https://www.deviantart.com/drag-gynn

Donkyhotay

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 03:35:56 pm »
That's been the response I've been getting on discord too. Just for clarification these are definitely personal pages, actually listed as "user", but the user doesn't exist on the new wiki.
Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.

Donkyhotay

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 02:30:15 pm »
So far every response I've gotten about this issue, especially on discord, has agreed they should probably be wiped. It's been long enough that if someone had a reason for us to hold onto them they would have spoken up already so I'll start cleaning them out. Thanks for everyone that did respond here and on discord on this matter.