News:

- Server is UP - Weekly Maintenance Sundays at 9 pm EST/2 AM GMT - Current Version: Rebirth Issue 6: Dawn of Genesis -

What about Mosquitoes?!

Started by Joshex, October 07, 2024, 08:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshex

So, I was eating dinner tonight (here in reality(joke about my other thread)) and before dinner I let our cat back in the house anda  mosquito followed him in, then disappeared into the shadows like they do.

then as we were sat down at dinner (we had indian curry), I noticed something was fliying around hovering over my food. as I took a closer look, it was definitely a mosquito, not any of the look-a-likes an actual mosquito. I shooed it away and tried to clap it between my hands and told people at the table it was a mosquito. then it disappeared off somewhere, and I figured I had better finish eating quickly.

My dad got up mid meal to get more tea, and then I noticed the mosquito had come back and was now hovering over his plate rigth over some mango chutney he had smeared on the rim of his plate. and it landed on the mango chutney and started drinking it.

I told my dad when he came back and sat down and after a minute he saw it. the mosquito was not going to leave on account of him until he tried to get it with a napkin. then it flew away.

Needless to say I got a good view of it on it's escape path and killed it so that it wont fly in anyone's bedroom and potentially bite us while we sleep, and yes it was an actual mosquito. but I have never heard of mosquitoes eating chutney before, or really anything other than blood. Was this a new breed of mosquito that goes after sugar instead of blood? maybe I shouldn't have killed it, maybe if left alone it would have passed on DNA to make other mosquitoes prefer sweets to blood?

Perhaps this is a real thing that could actually be done, perhaps we could train mosquitoes in a lab setting enmass to eat sugary substances instead of blood and embed it in their DNA. then release them into nature and have them replace the blood sucking pests? imagine a world where mosquitoes prefer berries and fruits to humans.

Redlynne

Among mosquitos, it's the females that are the blood suckers (they need it to supplement their energy reserves). Males do not drink blood.

So speculating that could have been a male mosquito ...?

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Joshex

Quote from: Redlynne on October 07, 2024, 08:37:29 PMAmong mosquitos, it's the females that are the blood suckers (they need it to supplement their energy reserves). Males do not drink blood.

So speculating that could have been a male mosquito ...?

aren't the males supposed to be larger than the females and be often confused with mayflies? this thing was normal mosquito sized, and given it was attacking the cat to follow it into the house, I'd say it'd be a female.